Section Entertainment
Two women tell the BBC they were raped during Married at First Sight UK filming as Panorama airs
A third contributor describes a separate allegation of a non-consensual sex act; Channel 4 pulled MAFS UK from streaming after the investigation dropped, while CPL and the broadcaster insist welfare was robust and that disputed claims had earlier been judged uncorroborated.

Two women have told the BBC they were raped while contributors on Channel 4’s Married at First Sight UK, according to reporting published ahead of Monday evening’s Panorama investigation into welfare on the CPL-produced reality series.
A third woman describes an allegation of a non-consensual sex act. All three say the programme did not do enough to protect them. None of the women the BBC spoke to had reported their allegations to the police at the time of publication.
The BBC says Channel 4 was aware of some allegations before episodes featuring the women were broadcast, and that those editions had remained on its streaming service until Monday afternoon, when the broadcaster removed MAFS UK from streaming and linear services alongside related social channels.
Channel 4 had earlier told Panorama that the allegations were “wholly uncorroborated and disputed.” After BBC News published its account, the channel said it had commissioned an external review of welfare on the show the previous month “after being presented with serious allegations of wrongdoing.” Chief executive Priya Dogra later expressed sympathy for contributors who had been distressed, while repeating that accused parties dispute the claims and defending the broadcaster’s handling when concerns arose.
What the investigation lays out
Two women the BBC anonymises as Lizzie and Chloe
The article gives the pseudonym Lizzie to one woman entitled to lifetime anonymity in rape cases under English law. She alleges penetrative rape by her onscreen husband during filming, describes visible bruising she reported to welfare staff, and says he threatened that someone would throw acid at her if she spoke—an account his lawyers deny alongside any violence or coercive threats.
CPL’s lawyers told the BBC bruises were explained to welfare as marks from rough but consensual sex, that the acid remark was relayed as a passing comment rather than a threat, and that production acted once she said she felt unsafe. Lizzie’s barrister, Charlotte Proudman, criticises what she calls a failure of curiosity and basic safeguarding; Lizzie intends to pursue a legal claim against CPL.
The second anonymised contributor, Chloe, says she reported being raped to Channel 4 and CPL before her series aired, yet her episodes were still broadcast. She alleges a pattern of pressure during intimacy she now frames as rape after discussing it with the show psychiatrist; lawyers for her onscreen husband challenge details and say sex began consensually, that he stopped when her body language withdrew, and deny separate groping allegations. CPL’s lawyers say protocols were followed, that earlier accounts described sex as fully consensual, and that she did not ask to be removed from the programme as transmitted.
Shona Manderson and Bradley Skelly
Shona Manderson, who appeared on the 2023 series, tells Panorama on camera that a boundary was crossed when, she says, her onscreen husband Bradley Skelly ejaculated inside her without permission after they had agreed to use withdrawal. Skelly says he understood she had consented that night and categorically denies sexual misconduct or controlling behaviour; lawyers acting for him later told Panorama he had not been wearing a condom, contradicting CPL’s earlier understanding.
CPL and Channel 4 removed the couple from the show shortly afterwards, citing concerns the relationship might be unhealthy. Shona says she does not know whether a subsequent pregnancy related to that incident; she has spoken about accessing abortion care. Channel 4 says she was clear at the time that sexual contact was consensual; CPL’s lawyers say the company took appropriate welfare steps.
Institutional responses beyond the denial statements
Outgoing chief content officer Ian Katz told the BBC on Monday he had not yet seen the finished documentary but called the claims serious and said the broadcaster would respond after viewing it.
Lawyers for CPL describe its welfare arrangements as “gold standard” and industry-leading, insisting staff acted appropriately in each case. Women’s Aid, quoted in the same reporting, called the allegations disturbing and warned that violence against women and girls can affect anyone regardless of camera lights.
Baroness Helena Kennedy KC, who chairs the Creative Industries Independent Standards Authority, told the BBC the format carried high unmanaged risk, urged Channel 4 to appoint external investigators, and said she personally did not believe MAFS UK should remain on air. Media academic Helen Wood, citing a multi-year study of reality television, warns that sealed “bubbles” mixing isolation with manufactured intimacy create predictable hazards.
Context readers may still need
Married at First Sight UK is a commercial tentpole for E4: the BBC notes audience figures often exceed three million and that the UK format has run for ten seasons, with mock weddings that are not legally binding followed by filmed honeymoons and cohabitation.
The Panorama edition The Dark Side of Married at First Sight was scheduled for 20:00 BST on 18 May 2026 on BBC One in England and Northern Ireland (BBC Two in Wales). The BBC’s reporting stresses that anyone affected can use the corporation’s Action Line support routes.
Until courts or investigators reach conclusions, the appropriate posture for a news summary is to keep verbs in the allegation tense, to log each side’s account, and to remember that broadcasting controversy is not a substitute for due process.
Geography and themes
Related places and recurring themes for this story.
- United Kingdom
- Television
- Entertainment
Suggested reading
Other stories that pair well with this one—often from the same section or on overlapping themes.
Sony signals first-party tentpole single-player games will stay off PC after years of delayed ports
Search for new James Bond officially begins as auditions kick off
Harry and Meghan to produce Afghanistan war film for Netflix
Jason Biggs and Jenny Mollen announce separation after 18 years
Cooper presses Gulf partners to reopen Hormuz routes farmers need for fertiliser

Revolut rolls out a physical Dogecoin-branded card in the U.K. and wider EEA
Burnham vows to ‘change Labour’ through Makerfield while Starmer digs in against a leadership timetable
Brussels Brexit veterans say a UK return would mean normal EU membership, not the old carve-outs
UK firms freeze capex and hiring plans as Hormuz-linked costs bite mid-market balance sheets
IMF nudges up its 2026 UK growth call while flagging Hormuz and home-grown risks
Keep exploring
Browse the full archive or return to the front page.
Sources and external links
Sources and filings our editors consulted to verify this story. External links open in a new tab.