Section Sports
Iran’s World Cup squad reaches Türkiye for camp while US entry papers stay unresolved
Wire and regional copy describe a May 18 departure toward Antalya for weeks of friendlies and logistics—still paired with federation warnings that American visas had not materialized and that FIFA was being asked to help secure guarantees before June fixtures in the United States.
Iran’s senior men’s football team has crossed into a long-planned preparation phase in Türkiye while American entry visas for the 2026 World Cup delegation remained unsettled in open-source reporting through mid-May—leaving travel math that depends on third-country processing rather than a US mission in Tehran.
The Hindu, carrying an agency report, said the squad left for Türkiye on 18 May to base in the Antalya region for training and tune-up matches before any onward leg to the United States. That movement lands beside earlier federation statements—widely quoted internationally—that Washington had not yet stamped the papers the party needs to work and play on US soil.
Al Jazeera, in a 14 May sports brief, attributed direct language to Iranian football federation president Mehdi Taj: that no visas had been issued yet and that officials intended to meet FIFA to press for guarantees around the visa issue. The same piece sketched Iran’s tournament footprint—Group G fixtures slated in US cities—underscoring why clearance delays matter even while camp work continues abroad.
Türkiye Today’s English-language summary framed Antalya as the operational hub for “weeks” of camp activity and friendlies, explicitly tying the Turkish stop to visa and logistics realities when home-country consular services for the destination are unavailable.
What the public schedule adds
The Hindu’s dispatch noted a booked friendly against The Gambia on 29 May in Antalya—one concrete marker fans and broadcasters can use to separate training-rumor noise from a dated calendar item.
Yahoo Sports separately documented a large send-off gathering in Tehran before departure, a scene that illustrates political attention on the team even as bureaucratic clocks tick toward June.
How NewsTenet is reading the file
Three things can be true without contradiction: the team can train and play friendlies in Türkiye; US visa policy can remain a live variable for a large traveling party; and FIFA can be cast—by federation principals—as a broker when host-state entry rules intersect with a national-team program.
Until the US government or FIFA publishes primary confirmation of stamped passports or blanket assurances, the defensible headline is “camp underway abroad, US paperwork still publicly unresolved,” with Antalya as the visible staging ground and federation rhetoric keeping pressure on the sport’s governing body.
Geography and themes
Related places and recurring themes for this story.
- Iran
- Türkiye
- United States
- Sports
About the author
NewsTenet sports deskSports analysis desk11 years' experience
Match-day desk that blends footage review with seasonal data to explain what actually changed.
Focus areas
- Football tactics
- Performance metrics
- Tournament narratives
Suggested reading
Other stories that pair well with this one—often from the same section or on overlapping themes.
Trump says he held off a planned Iran strike after Gulf leaders asked him to wait
Trump on Truth Social: Iran’s “clock is ticking,” move “FAST,” or “there won’t be anything left of them”

US–Iran war in the Middle East: who is involved, what each country is doing, and how they are affected

War has made the United States and Iran weaker—in different ways and on different clocks

FBI maintains $200,000 reward for former US counterintelligence agent Monica Witt over Iran espionage charges
Revised Iranian proposal to end war shared with U.S., Pakistani source says
Post analysis of satellite imagery ties Iranian strikes to damage or loss of at least 228 U.S. structures or pieces of equipment
Bruno Fernandes equals Premier League single-season assist record on 20th helper against Forest

Xabi Alonso accepts Chelsea job on four-year deal from July after FA Cup final heartbreak
Akash Singh's viral 'note celebration' steals the show in LSG vs CSK clash
Keep exploring
Browse the full archive or return to the front page.
Sources and external links
Sources and filings our editors consulted to verify this story. External links open in a new tab.